Skip to main content

Warning for my readers...

Hi there valued reader!

I just wanted to take a moment to provide a warning with regards to my books. Not to worry, there's nothing sinister or dangerous afoot.

I've noticed from various feedback readers have given me that everyone reacts differently to my work. One person will love one thing, while another dislikes it, and then the reverse will be true about some other aspect of any given book.

I've really noticed a big difference between how men and women react to my work, often attaching themselves to different aspects of the story entirely (that's not a commentary on gender or applicable across all readers, purely a general observation - it's salient enough that it's left me mildly befuddled over why it is).

So I thought it best to give people a warning in terms of what you get when you read one of my books:


  • I don't write generic tropes (I don't use generic formulas to build or resolve plots. This means, sometimes things will happen that you may not like - even to the point of angering you. That said, I do write stories that follow a logical stream of thought.) There are lots of authors out there who write generic tropes where you can be relatively confident that nothing too out of the ordinary will occur (or that every book the author produces will basically unfold in similar ways) - please don't make that assumption with me or you may be disappointed.
  • I do write thematically. What I mean by that is, while you may at times find a plot twist not to your liking, if you think about it, it's always in keeping with the book's themes; if you were paying attention as you read, the signs were usually there that a particular twist/outcome was possible.
  • A salient component to my style of storytelling is that it's usually a guessing game for the reader as to what is going on until near the end of the book. If you can't stand being teased, think twice about reading my books
  • I do think people prone to negative emotional reactions (ie. easily depressed for instance) may want to consider whether my books are appropriate for them. People tend to get attached to my characters and the fates in store for them are not always kind or carried out in a reader-friendly fashion.  I do not shy away from very depressing or dark elements in my storytelling. Nor, I should add, do I overly embrace them. Each story goes where it goes, with no consideration for either me as the writer, or you as the reader. I take pride that my stories are, if nothing else, authentic. 


Is this warning even necessary? Probably not (I'm sure some of you are saying "Well, no duh.").

I do, however, feel bad when a reader says they loved one of my books but the ending, or what happened to a character, made them furious.

Unfortunately, the only way to ensure this never happens is to write generic storylines with generic twists and generic endings. I simply refuse to do that. It's not the body of work I wish to leave behind one day.

So there you have it. Be warned - sometimes you'll love what happens in my stories and to my characters, sometimes you'll hate it and want to strangle me in my sleep.  =)

Hopefully, the one thing you never say is that my stories were generic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morgan Freeman Botches Reddit IAmA - Black Eye on PR

For those not familiar with Reddit it's basically a forum where people post interesting things on a wide variety of subjects. Postings gain popularity when people 'up vote' them and become more visible in their particular subreddit (a subreddit is simply a subject category, like politics or videos). One of Reddit's most popular subreddits is the IAmA subreddit - which allows reddit users to ask questions of various people. Over three million people subscribe to IAmA, which is also widely used by celebrities. An IAmA can last a couple hours during which Redditors (the term Reddit users call themselves) can ask the person doing the IAmA questions. The term "IAmA" comes from the concept of "I Am A doctor, ask me anything", "I Am A movie star, ask me anything" - you get the drift. IAmA's are not just for celebrities, lots of common folks do them as well. Recently Morgan Freeman did an IAmA  and it turned into a PR mess. To make a lo

Mainstream versus Alternate Media - Where is the news now-a-days?

It's well known that CNN has been suffering an exodus of viewers, losing over half their viewership over the past couple of years. Yet Fox News has not lost viewers, but has increased its viewership slightly. It's an odd phenomena given that Fox news is clearly biased in their coverage. Mind you, so is CNN according to many. But I'd suggest it comes down to something much more simple.  While Fox may be holding its ground, the rise of alternative media is taking off where CNN left off - a focus on hard news. For those of the under 40 crowd, that's what they are looking for, NEWS. The simplest way to highlight the difference between mainstream media and alternative media is to take a look at their homepages and the stories they highlight. It becomes very clear why people are turning away from CNN and turning to alternative media. Let's look at five media sites and their homepage (click on pictures to enlarge): CNN Feature stories: CNN heroes Top t

A Look Back on 2017 / A Look Forward to 2018

Hard to believe it's been two years (and six books) since I started publishing. Thought I'd take a moment to look back on the journey, some of the highlights and what's in store for the future. Eyes Wide Open I had no idea what this publishing path would be like - I went in blind with nothing more than an interest in telling a story. It turned out to be way harder than I could have imagined. You'd think writing a book wouldn't be that difficult, but it is. It's not so much the book that readers see that's hard to produce, it's the ideas and writing that get left on the cutting room floor. But beyond the actual stories, learning Photoshop to do my own covers, understanding how to market my books, learning how to create print versions, and a dozen other things really opened my eyes to how much effort is required to get a book to market. Along the way I’ve had my moments where I questioned my sanity to put myself through the process. But